A Chicago Photo

A Chicago Photo

Monday, November 10, 2008

Oops

So I have been neglecting my blog as of late... Nothing too exciting has happened up in the Northland, and I was back in the cities this weekend. It was wonderful to see Ross and his family, and I had pretty good days at work too.

Last Thursday I did okay at trying to get a little guy with autism to do a jumping jack, but I think he just didn't want to do it. We might try again tomorrow--and we'll probably play a bit of floor hockey too. We played some musical chairs with some other boys and had scooter races with the girls in the afternoon. Since it was rainy, we had to pull out the indoor tricks... and I have a feeling that a majority of the school PT will be indoors for the rest of my affil. Considering it's now November, I guess that isn't bad. Now I want to get the game Twister because so many of the kids struggle with balance or core strength or coordination. This week I'll be able to do a few evaluations of students using the BOT-2 test. The test evaluates age appropriate activities in categories like bilateral coordination, strength, speed and agility, etc. I've only administered portions of the BOT so far, so I'm looking forward to doing a full one.

As for clinic patients... things just keep getting more interesting. We have a couple "textbook" cases of weakness or typical patterns of post-surgical progression, but some of the patients are fascinatingly non-textbook. It's really causing me to think and actually want to review and study material from my classes! I cannot remember near the amount of information that I want to. So I should probably be doing that now...

1 comment:

Arizona Gronseths said...

Hey Lisa, I'm so glad your mom sent us your link. I love reading your discussions of cases involving the school kids you work with. Having seen first hand the incredible difference good pediatric PT's and OT's can make, I'm so pleased that you have chosen a career in this field. Keep posting, because I am enjoying checking your blog:)