A Chicago Photo

A Chicago Photo

Thursday, October 30, 2008

A funny story











I always ask my teacher friends to tell me the funny things their students say or the funny things that happen during class. I am really hoping that I have some good stories after my work with the kids at the charter schools in Duluth. So far I have one somewhat funny story. We were on the swings (as happens frequently on sunny days) with a student. Two sidenotes: 1) Swings are a great place to strengthen core and extremity muscles, and 2) I am surprised that both schools I go to have swings because they can be a big liability issue. Anyway, the student and I were "racing" to see who could swing the highest the fastest. The kids always know who is winning, and I remember those days. As the student and I were racing to the maximum height allowed by the swingset, he noticed we were swinging at the same pace and shouted, "Miss Lisa! We're married!" I had completely forgotten about that occurring on swings, and I was surprised that kids still said that. It made me laugh. I don't think we were "married" today. It is kind of amazing the difference in the gross motor skills of "normal" kids and kids with delays. Some have a really hard time motor planning jumping jacks, others cannot hop or skip or gallop. They do know what tasks are hard for them and will do everything to avoid performing them.
I am posting some pictures from driving along the Scenic Highway on Tuesday and from the sunset yesterday. (Today I ran along the lake for a bit in shorts and a t-shirt!)

No comments: