A Chicago Photo

A Chicago Photo

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wednesday update

Although Monday's weather served as a warning of things to come, this week has turned out to be really nice. It was sunny both today and yesterday, and tomorrow could possibly hit 60. When I drove from Duluth to Two Harbors after my day at the charter schools on Tuesday, I drove along the scenic highway. It parallels the expressway I usually drive but it runs closer to Lake Superior. It was gorgeous--the water was so blue. I took a couple pictures, but they just don't do it justice. I might try posting some of them later.

I was hoping to get outside today after I was done at the clinic, but I ended up being at the clinic for about 2 hours after our last patient was scheduled to be done. The last patient has a very interesting and complicated presentation. She initially presented as someone with a disc problem in her low back, but now it looks like she could have some kind of hip or sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Her pain location is consistent, but she also has related neck and shoulder pain... we did quite a bit of testing and tried various things to relieve her pain. To add to the complication, she was injured at work and has the workers compensation system to deal with. We tried some functional tasks with her, but she is so weak in her lower abdominal muscles that she cannot support her back and lift or carry items. It's been really interesting and somewhat of a clinic-wide puzzle. I hope some of that made sense.

Other than that, I don't have too much to report. I have been able to take over some patients and increase my participation in patient care, so that has been good. Now I suppose I will return to watching the World Series...

No comments: